Ear Infection Remedy Suggestions to Alleviate Ear Pain and Discomfort
A home remedy for ear infections can easily be found in most medicine cabinets and kitchens.
An ear infection remedy comes in handy in the middle of the night when the pain associated with this affliction is almost too much to endure. Children are especially prone to ear infections, which can be caused by a variety of things.
One common cause is an infection in the area located behind the eardrum, known as otitis media. Bacteria find their way into the middle ear through the Eustachian tube, which is the canal at the back of the throat that leads to the middle ear.
When the infection sets in, it can be quite painful and relief can be found in a home remedy for ear infections. The situation worsens when the tubes are blocked because the bacteria are trapped inside and have a thriving environment in which to grow and multiply.
Different things can cause tube blockage, including airborne allergens, cigarette or cigar smoke, and respiratory infections.
Children are more prone to ear infections because their Eustachian tubes are shorter and straighter than those in adults are. Their canal structure creates an easier entrance for bacteria and an easier target for blockage.
If you or someone in your family has ear problems associated with what you think might be an infection, you might want to try an ear infection remedy listed below.
* Keep the head elevated. Keeping the head up helps the ear canal clear naturally. Most individuals suffering from an ear infection typically feel more pain at night than during the day. This is because they are upright during the day and their tubes can drain freely into the back of the throat.
* Hydrate your body with water or juice. Swallowing helps open and drain the Eustachian tubes, helping to clear blockage and ease pain. Sip liquid throughout the day and night so that the swallowing exercise is increased.
* Clear the air. Send smokers outside, don't use the wood burning stove or fireplace, and try to keep the air free and clear. The fewer allergens and toxins there are in the air the better.
* Lie with the head flat on its side and pour a small amount of apple cider vinegar inside the ear, less than a capful. Let it sit about a minute, turn head over onto towel, and let drain. Repeat with other ear.
Bragg's Organic apple cider vinegar is made from organic whole apples. It is aged in wood, contains no preservatives, and the mother of vinegar remains unfiltered. It is also undiluted. It is praised by many for its ability to fight germs and infections.
* Hydrogen peroxide in each ear helps fight infection and ease the pain. Place a few drops in each ear and allow to sit for 3-4 minutes before draining.
* Mix 1 drop of peppermint oil with 10 drops of plain olive oil. Place a few drops of this solution into each ear and allow to sit for 4-5 minutes before draining.
* Another home remedy for ear infections is to take regular vodka and place a few drops in each ear, then allow each to drain thoroughly. It may sting a bit at first, but it has proven to be an ear infection remedy for effectively relieving the pain.
When using a remedy that involves placing a liquid solution in the ear, be sure and let the ear drain thoroughly. Use a towel, and one ear can drain while the other contains the solution. Then switch sides to drain the other. Lie flat and watch television or something to allow sufficient time for proper draining of the solution from the ear.